Monday, March 21, 2011

week 3 discussion - Web 2.0 - Jacquie Bussen

Skype is a useful tool that allows people to communicate by text, voice, and video. It can be used on phones, televisions, or computers. It could be useful for us in this online class by showing classmates how they navigated a site or created something by seeing it and not just reading how a student did it in the discussion board.

I found this really cool site http://sqworl.com/mm2u21 that gives tons of cool sites to choose from. Really check this site out…site to make comics, publish books, timelines, etc. One source that I found was http://ettcweb.lr.k12.nj.us/forms/newpoem.htm I will incorporate it into my classroom by using it in my upcoming poetry-writing unit. My students will just type in the words to the field boxes and it creates the poems. Another source is http://www.google.com/earth/index.html I will incorporate it into my classroom by downloading it and then searching to show my students the places that we are reading about or talking about in all subject areas. This allows them to see the actual places and visualize them. I have done this some with just pictures I find online and my students get so much more motivated and pumped up about learning the topic!

Web 2.0 is a term used to describe sites on the Internet that are services and not just articles. The sites have ways to create something, collaborate, and share content via the Internet. It is a combination of technology integrated on a website to communicate in some way. I bet the web based graphing tool in the textbook article for this week was a web 2.0 website. Using web 2.0 sites are ways for students to be creative and think critically by people working together in technology like the creativity article discusses. Using these tools is a new way to collaborate together and exchange ideas. Some examples that I use in my personal life are craigslist and facebook. Some examples that I found to use as a teacher are www1.teachertube.com and http://www.curriki.org/. I used teacher tube the other day looking up Dr. Jean’s cheers because a colleague told me that they are very effective to use in the classroom. I am going to try a few cheers in my classroom. I found curriki while looking to write this post. This is a site where teachers come together to collaborate and share curriculum- lessons and activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment