Tuesday, April 19, 2011

week 7 discussion - Technology - Jacquie Bussen

Technology has had a major impact on my educational setting and will continue to impact my classroom even more in the future! As I looked back at the last 10 years, I pictured no home computers to dial up internet to high speed internet to wireless. I pictured myself in the library researching out of textbooks to now having the internet at my fingertips. Students will have the internet at their fingertips with immediate up-to-date information available. I have seen chalkboards change to dry erase boards to interactive smart boards and 3M boards. I can only imagine what the next 10 years will bring. I imagine that there will be online networks of teachers that teach lessons as teachers supervise. There will be distance education with satellite communication and video conferencing. I think students will each have their own hand held computer devices. Their assignments and homework will be completed and turned in electronically. The students will use their thumbprint to take attendance in the building and purchase food in the cafeteria. My husband had to use his thumbprint to enter and exit his CPA testing site. It is crazy to think how much the school systems have changed the past 10 years and will change the next 10 and then the next 10 years!

There have been many positive types of technology such as my 3-M board, document camera, and student lap tops with wireless internet, etc. provided in my classroom. I can do SOOO many interactive things with my students! There have also been many negative impacts such as many frustrations with servers and technology not working when that is what was planned for the class period! Also, there aren’t as many face-to-face or phone interactions with colleagues and parents due to email. The article by Doug Johnson brought up many negative impacts that I have experienced using the internet at school. Internet sites are blocked when you search. For example, in 8th grade, the Holocaust was very difficult to research due to most of the websites blocked. Also, there are many sites that are not blocked that should be. Topics seem to be under or over blocked! I had a 3rd grader search “sexy hot women” this year. Due to personal log-ins and filters, we knew he was searching this.

I would have loved to have had the many resources on internet safety and cyber bullying when I taught middle school. I would have many talks about this, but the videos and websites would have been very beneficial to me. I will pass this along to my middle school colleagues.

Some websites that I use are organized by subject area on my delicious page tabs. I linked them below if you are interested.

http://www.delicious.com/mrsbussen/languagearts

http://www.delicious.com/mrsbussen/math

http://www.delicious.com/mrsbussen/poetry

http://www.delicious.com/mrsbussen/reading

http://www.delicious.com/mrsbussen/writing

No comments:

Post a Comment